Regions

We in social networks

Facebook
ВКонтакте
Twitter

Events Calendar

Загрузка...

The Taliban has declared war on Georgia

25.06.2013 17:21

In Afghanistan, as a result of a terrorist attack seven Georgian soldiers who served in the International Security Assistance Force, ISAF, were killed, another nine Georgian soldiers were injured.

Chief of the Joint Staff of the Georgian Armed Forces, Colonel Irakli Dzneladze reported that the attack took place on June 6 at a military base in southern Afghanistan's Helmand province. A suicide bomber detonated a truck packed with explosives near a military base, in which 1.5 thousand Georgian troops stayed.

As a result of the terrorist attack in Afghanistan Corporal Teimuraz Ortavidze, Corporal Georgi Adamov, private first class Zurab Gurgenashvili, private Mikheil Narindoshvili, private Boris Tsugoshvili and private first class Zviad Sulkhanishvili, private Georgi Guchashvili were killed.

The wounded Georgian soldiers have been transferred to the Central Hospital and are under the supervision of medical personnel.

Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili expressed his condolences to the bereaved families and announced June 7th the day of national mourning. "This is a very heavy blow and a loss for all of us," he said in his televised address to the citizens. At the same time, he stressed that "participating in the peacekeeping operation in Afghanistan, Georgia is making a significant contribution both to the international and its own security.

In connection with this incident, Georgia's Defence Minister Irakli Alasania cut short his official visit to Brussels and went to Afghanistan.

"When the minister of defense learned of the attack on the Georgian military base in Helmand province, he was in Brussels on an official visit. He decided to cut short the visit and to go to Afghanistan in an unplanned manner," said Georgia's Ambassador to NATO Gega Mgaloblishvili.

It should be noted, before it became known that the fighters of the Taliban declared jihad against the Georgian troops in Afghanistan. On the YouTube video-sharing website a video appeared named "Jihad against Georgian troops in Afghanistan", where the authors threaten the Georgian military involved in the ISAF mission. In particular, it is said that every soldier on the Afghan soil "will be punished" as well as those who sent them there.

"Afghanistan is our land, and anyone who tries to win it, will be punished by Allah. Now new crusaders arrived from Georgia to kill our children and wives. President Mikhail Saakashvili sent troops to Afghanistan to help America. Jihad will take vengeance on Georgian soldiers... We know your names. We know your addresses. We know your relatives. We go to Georgia. We will take revenge," a video message says. The material also contains threats against President Mikhail Saakashvili.

The Georgian military contingent has performed a peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan as part of ISAF forces since August 2009. Since then 29 Georgian military became victims of the militants attacks. More than 130 people received wounds. The last case of the death of Georgian soldiers took place on May 13, 2013. Then in an attack of militants three soldiers were killed. A number of Georgian opposition parties and organizations in recent years have demanded the withdrawal of Georgian troops from Afghanistan. According to the Ministry of Defense of Georgia, 1,545 Georgian military serve in Afghanistan.